When it all began...
From: A History of Pickford Area Pioneer Families 1973
Shortly after the Civil War, in the year 1877, James Clegg, John Crawford, and William Gough came to a wooded, remote valley called Munuscong and picked spots to make their homes. They left for Canada and upon returning the next year, found that Charley Pickford had taken up residence on some of the land they had chosen. Thus, Charley Pickford gave his name to what was a few years later a tiny cluster of frame buildings on a muddy street. Shortly after came the Taylors, Greens, Millers, Raynards, Bests, Wilsons, Quinnells, Harrisons, Ryes, Morrisons, Hannahs, and many others. Most of these names are still with the town and many descendants of these early pioneers still operate the business places, walk the same streets, and live on the same land as their hardy ancestors. The first school began in Pickford in the year 1880 when Miss Emma Pickford, later Mrs. Pascoe, taught a group of children in a log building on the corner lot where the former County Garage now stands. This, however, was not an organized school. About 1882 a school board was organized and a building erected on the southwest corner of the farm now owned by John Stirling, Jr. Some of the earliest Board Members were William Best, Richard Rye, C. W. Pickford, and William Gough. The first teacher in the organized school was Miss Millie Earl, later Mrs. A. W. Taylor. About 1886 that building was moved to the site where the garage owned by Morrell Thompson is now located.
About this same time the Kennedy school south of Pickford was started. Also two and one half miles north of Pickford the school known as Roe School opened. In 1895 the Roosevelt or Lindberg (as it was later called) School was built. Other schools in the vicinity were Blairville, built about 1890, Cowell, Maple Ridge, Stirlingville, Munuscong Bay, Fairview, Sunshine, Tripp, Kelden, Pleasant Park, and Dunbar in 1915.
The rest, is modern history.